I've recently discovered that there is a package of tools thought to work locally in the working directory of a developer using CVS. As the creators say (and I had figured it out too), it is possible to do some work with the information locally available.
The tools are:
- cvsu: cvs update offline.
- cvsco: cruel checkout (removes compilation results and discards local changes).
- cvsdiscard: discard my changes.
- cvspurge: removes all files not know to CVS but doesn't remove local changes.
- cvstrim: removes files and directories unknown to CVS.
- cvschroot: makes it possible to change CVS/Root in all subdirectories.
- cvsdo: simulates add, remove and diff. This one rocks!
You can install these tools in any debian system doing:
sudo apt-get install cvstools
I reached this information when reading the different methods of checkout available for CVS in Buildbot :)